Whom to Contact – Useful Links and Contacts

Do you need more information? Only trust verified sources and official information!


Use Free Assistance!
Do you have any issues relating to your stay? Do you need advice?You can contact integration centres and non-governmental non-profit organisations, which provide social, legal and other counselling free of charge.

Information Assistance Telephone Lines for Foreigners by Charita, Czech Republic

You can also use assistance telephone lines in Vietnamese and Mongolian.

Assistance telephone line in the Mongolian language

Tel. 733 67 66 67, available twice a week – on Monday and Wednesday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. and from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Assistance telephone line in the Vietnamese and Czech language

Tel. 605 99 99 69, available three times a week – on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday from 9:00 to 12:00 a.m. and from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.

La Strada SOS helpline for trafficked and exploited persons

Tel. 800 077 777 (free of charge), available on Wednesday from 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. in Czech, Russian and Romanian/Moldavian. Outside these working hours, you can leave your message on an answering machine.

Anti-corruption line for foreigners

Phone 974 847 704
This line serves for reporting all forms of corrupt behaviour experienced by foreigners for example when dealing with residence issues. It is available in Czech and English on Monday and Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., on Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Outside these working hours, you can leave your message on an answering machine and the operator will receive it the following day. If you want to leave a message, you can do so in any language.

Free telephone line providing information on Czech language exams

Tel. 800 400 469
This line provides information on preparation for the exam in Czech, English and Russian. Working hours of the telephone line are: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.


Which Office to Contact?

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the CR (MFA)

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic is in charge of the issuance of short-term visas. Applications are to be submitted via diplomatic missions of the Czech Republic in your home countries.

For more information have a look at the official website of the MFA.

In the CR, residence issues lie in the purview of 2 bodies of the Ministry of the Interior (MOI). These are: 1) the Foreign Police; and 2) the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy (OAMP).


Make sure not to confuse the Foreign Police and the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy!


Foreign Police

You have to appear at the Foreign Police office within three days after your first arrival in the Czech Republic to report your stay here (unless the provider of your accommodation does so for you). This is also where you go to arrange an invitation for your relatives/friends. The Foreign Police carries out residence checks and addresses failures to comply with the conditions of your stay in the CR.


OAMP of the Ministry of the Interior

The Department for Asylum and Migration Policy (OAMP) – the Foreign Nationals Residence Department is responsible for the agenda of long-term visas, long-term and permanent residence permits, temporary residence of EU citizens and their family members, biometric cards etc.

It is your duty to report all changes related to your place of residence, surname and family status and changes of data in your travel document and in your document issued for the residence in the CR to the OAMP. A change of the place of your residence has to be reported within 30 days but other changes have to be reported no later than within 3 days. Always observe the deadlines!



Telephone Line:

You can use the telephone helpline of the Ministry of the Interior to ask questions in Czech or in English. It is available from Monday to Friday from 08:00 a.m. to 03:00 p.m.Tel: (+420) 974 832 421, (+420) 974 832 418. The helpline advisors will help you with residence issues, for example when you don’t know what the essential elements of an application are or which office to contact.



In Prague and in the Central Bohemian Region we recommend that you make an appointment on a telephone line (+420) 974 820 680 to avoid unnecessary queues at the Foreign Nationals Residence Department.